Thursday, July 28, 2005

Smart People I'm Related To

"You don't just marry a man - you marry his family."

I heard this little nugget of truth at some time, but I never really got it until after I was married. Luckily for me, I wound up marrying a wonderful man with a wonderful family. I have mentioned many times how great my in-laws are, but I don't think I've mentioned the size of my husband's family. Specifically, my mother-in-law's family. She is one of six children, who all are married and have between two and four kids. When we are all together, there is Grandma and her husband, her six children and their six spouses, fifteen cousins and four spouses, and my two kids (which are the grandkids). (OK, I think this is right, but someone may want to check my numbers. Am I right? I know I'm at least close . . .) They are all just wonderful people.

One of my cousins (because I think of this as my family now too, so saying "Stuart's cousin" and "my cousin" have become interchangable to me) is a very smart woman working at Rockefeller University in New York City. Check out what she does: she is doing genetic research on diseases such as obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. Specifically, she is using a gene chip to "scan genomes for differences in individual base pairs at specific locations--variations known as single-nucleotide polymorphisms." I don't think I've ever done anything close to something like that! So Jen, kudos to you. I think your work is amazing. (Want to read more? Check out this article about Jen's work. Don't ask me for help with the big words - you're on your own!)

13 comments:

Theology Mom said...

You know what's frightening? After working at Reasons To Believe for so long, I actually kinda understand what this is saying. Maybe your cousin would enjoy our web site. =)

sydalany-وش مكرمش said...

really.i enjoyed reading your work


N.B>DON'T TRY TO READ MY WORK AS IT IS IN ARABIC

sydalany-وش مكرمش said...

really.i enjoyed reading your work


N.B>DON'T TRY TO READ MY WORK AS IT IS IN ARABIC

sydalany-وش مكرمش said...

really.i enjoyed reading your work


N.B>DON'T TRY TO READ MY WORK AS IT IS IN ARABIC

sydalany-وش مكرمش said...

really.i enjoyed reading your work


N.B>DON'T TRY TO READ MY WORK AS IT IS IN ARABIC

sydalany-وش مكرمش said...

really.i enjoyed reading your work


N.B>DON'T TRY TO READ MY WORK AS IT IS IN ARABIC

sydalany-وش مكرمش said...

really.i enjoyed reading your work


N.B>DON'T TRY TO READ MY WORK AS IT IS IN ARABIC

sydalany-وش مكرمش said...

really.i enjoyed reading your work


N.B>DON'T TRY TO READ MY WORK AS IT IS IN ARABIC

sydalany-وش مكرمش said...

really.i enjoyed reading your work


N.B>DON'T TRY TO READ MY WORK AS IT IS IN ARABIC

sydalany-وش مكرمش said...

really.i enjoyed reading your work


N.B>DON'T TRY TO READ MY WORK AS IT IS IN ARABIC

sydalany-وش مكرمش said...

really.i enjoyed reading your work


N.B>DON'T TRY TO READ MY WORK AS IT IS IN ARABIC

Sheila said...

sydalany, thanks for commenting. we get it - arabic, don't read it. is that picture really you?

AC said...

It is so much fun reading your comments about our family. We are the lucky ones to have you a part of us! AC