Sunday, July 17, 2005

Sudoku

I discovered this little puzzle game in a word/number puzzle book a few years ago, but it wasn't called sudoku. I saw this word, sudoku, on a bus stop bench, and was immediately intrigued. What is this? I put it all together this past week when the OC Register ran a story about this puzzle that started in the US, became popular in Japan (hence the japanese name) and is now all the rage in England. Try some yourself at sukodu.org - I recommend starting the "gentle" versions as they are definitely easier. Another good site is BrainBashers- they even have versions for the kids.

Never played? Here's the rules: each row, column, and 3x3 box must contain the numbers 1 to 9. Sounds easy, huh? Good luck.

4 comments:

Juliabohemian said...

That's masichism!!

when were you at a bus stop?

Sheila said...

I wasn't at a bus stop - I was at the McDonalds by a bus stop, and I was asked to pull forward, which I hate, so while I was fuming I read the bus stop bench ads. Odd, isn't it?

Juliabohemian said...

no, what's odd is that you remembered such a complicated word written on a bus stop. I would have read it and said "oh that's interesting." and promptly forgotten what it said by the time I got home. Of course, the fact that you are capable/interested in doing those kinds of puzzles put you in a special class of people as it is...

I have a number puzzle I like to do too. I call it Balancemycheckbooku

Sheila said...

Balancemycheckbooku! Love it!