Wednesday, August 17, 2005

To The Lady At The ATM

I saw you this morning at the ATM machine, carrying your sleeping infant in his carseat, casting disdainful looks my way as I left my three children in the car. (OK, one of them isn't mine, but you didn't know that.) I know exactly what you are thinking - how could I leave my kids in the car like that? Don't I know that is how babies die? Well, let me tell you how I can do that - it was 8:30 am and overcast, a nice cool morning. I left all four windows down for fresh air. I got a parking space directly in front of the ATM so that I could see the car, in fact all three children, at all times. Also, it took me all of five minutes to make my deposit. But you can't understand how awful errands are with a two year old boy. Your precious bundle was asleep and restrained the whole time you did your banking business. You don't know what it is like to have your child pull the dead-weight tantrum because he doesn't want you to hold his hand. You don't know what it is like to drag a two year old and a six year old from a store. So don't be so quick to judge me, because you will wear my shoes very soon. And, because I know what is in store for you, dear mother of one precious baby, I forgive you.

3 comments:

K Murphy J said...

It's the sadder but wiser girl for me... :)

Juliabohemian said...

your definitely going to hell
(seriously, I do that ALL the time)

Theology Mom said...

Oh man, Sheila, I'm dying. That is so stinkin' funny!