Monday, August 01, 2005

Wrong Number

We had three phone calls in a row last night around 11:00 pm. The first one, Stuart answered, "Wrong number", and hung up. The second one, we let the machine answer, thinking this guy would get a clue. No luck. The third call I answered.
Me: "WHAT DO YOU WANT?" (phone calls after 10:00 pm get no courtesy from me)
DrunkGuy: "Let me talk to Elaina."
Me: "You have the wrong number - she's not here."
DrunkGuy: "I want to talk to Elaina! Put her on the phone!"
Me: "You have the wrong number! She doesn't live here!"
DrunkGuy: "What nationality are you?"
HUH? What the . . . . why would this matter at all?
Me: "None of your business." Click.

6 comments:

Theology Mom said...

That's funny.

My poor elderly grandmother (96) gets a lot of "wrong numbers" late at night. Apparently, her number is very close to some pizza joint. So, drunk people are constantly calling her at 11 PM to order pizza.

Juliabohemian said...

our number used to be a business...a construction company. we still get calls after five years because they owe money to lots of people. often I don't think they believe me when I tell them 'this is a residence!'

Juliabohemian said...

I am so going to call you after 10pm now...

K Murphy J said...

You know, it would have just been easier to put Elaina on the phone... lol!

Sherry C said...

I agree with KMJ--next time put Elaina on!

When we were still in Long Beach, our phone number was 595-5555. I kid you not. We were one digit off from an ambulance company, one digit off from a doctor's office, one digit off from a little Mexican taqueria, and one digit off from a hotel!

We got some crazy wrong number calls. People even left us wrong number messages on our machine--which clearly stated who they had reached and emphasized that it was a residence, not a business of any kind.

To make matters worse, the hotel's phone number was actually misprinted as our number in some literature someplace, so people were indignant (at all hours, as hotel front desks are 24/7) that this must be the right number and would we please connect them to room 312.

K Murphy J said...

Yeah, our home number must be misprinted in some directory, because we always get call for Waste Management. I have to tell myself it's a misprint, because I might be terribly offended otherwise. >:S