Tuesday, May 22, 2007

If I Stand

There are certain tastes, smells, and sounds that have specific memories attached to them for me. Vinegar reminds me of dying Easter eggs with my mom. Playdough reminds me of my uncle. And who doesn't have a reaction to opening up a brand new box of crayola crayons? We all do.

There are several songs that remind me of college. I went to a small Christian university, and it was a very significant time for me. I think college is a significant time for almost everyone. My faith became my own there, and this more than anything made those four years seem like everything was important and a big deal. Listening to the songs from that time takes me right back. I've been listening to a Rich Mullins cd. (And while I was looking for the lyrics to this song, I found out that he died in a car accident in 1997 - how did I not know that?) This is the song of the week for me. (Big shouts out to SD for the "bucket" and lifegroup for the helping hands last night)

If I Stand

There's more that rises in the morning
Than the sun
More that shines in the night
Than just the moon
There's more than just this fire here
That keeps me warm
And a shelter that is larger
Than this room
There's a loyalty that's deeper
Than mere sentiment
And a music higher than the songs
That I can sing
The stuff of earth competes
For the allegiance
I owe only to the giver
Of all good things

So if I stand let me stand on the promise
That you will pull me through
And if I can't let me fall on the grace
That first brought me to you
And if I sing let me sing for the joy
That has born in me these songs
But if I weep let it be as a man
Who is longing for his home

There's more that dances on the prairies
Than the wind
And more that pulses in the ocean
Than the tide
There's a love that is fiercer
Than the love between friends
And more gentle than a mother's
When her baby's at her side
There's a loyalty that's deeper
Than mere sentiment
And a music higher than the songs
That I can sing
The stuff of earth competes
For the allegiance
I owe only to the giver
Of all good things

So if I stand let me stand on the promise
That you will pull me through
And if I can't let me fall on the grace
That first brought me to you
And if I sing let me sing for the joy
That has born in me these songs
But if I weep let it be as a man
Who is longing for his home
If I stand let me stand on the promise
That you will pull me through
And if I can't let me fall on the grace
That first brought me to you
And if I sing let me sing for the joy
That has born in me these songs
But if I weep let it be as a man
Who is longing for his home

2 comments:

Mary-LUE said...

This is one of my favorite songs--ever!

Mel said...

Oh mygosh.....what wonderful lyrics.

I'll have to wander around in cyberspace and see if there's a place to hear it.

WOW!