Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Knit Bit: LYS*

Yesterday I went on a little field trip to a local yarn store that I heard about. I have some birthday money from my mom with instructions to use it to buy yarn. (Must obey your mother, you know.) I was going to check out two, but Trudi's is closed for a summer vacation, so I headed straight to Ursula's Yarn Boutique. I met Ursula herself - she runs the shop and doesn't have any other employees, except for the ladies she pays to knit up scarves, hats, sweaters, blankets, shurgs, and all sorts of other lovely things. I heard her explain to a yarn dealer that she only sells a few of the knitted projects, but those projects help her sell lots and lots of yarn. I got it when I picked up this lovely green scarf, which turned out to be more of a wrap than a scarf, and as soon as I touched it I knew I needed to have some of the yarn. Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Chunky. It feels like silken wool. I got three balls in "07 magenta."

And then dear Ursula was showing another knitter some bamboo yarn, and since I've wanted to try some bamboo yarn, and I know lots of people who are pregnant and I'm sure at least one of them will have a baby girl, I got one in "134 babe." Good thing Trudi is on vacation!

Here is a project I have been working on that is almost finished - a bag to to with my yoga mat bag. It's made with Bernat Handicrafter Cotton and Lion Microspun. I like the green and purple together. I reinforced the handles with some craft rope, so they should be super strong. I just have to attach the handles and finish the purple crochet edging. (Yes, crochet edging. I'm learning.)

*LYS = Local Yarn Store

3 comments:

AmberJ said...

I am SO jealous of your knitting projects! I haven't the oomph to finish the baby blanket I started back in...(gulp) December? January? Golly! Has it been that long?

Maybe I should go back to knitting scarves...

alison said...

What is bamboo yarn like?

Sheila said...

Well, I haven't knit up the bamboo yet, but it feels like silk and is very light. I read that it knits up in a very light, breathable fabric that drapes very nicely and is also anti-bacterial, so very excellent for baby knitting because the spitup won't get in the fibers and muck it up. So I hear - I'll have to test it out by knitting up something for a baby and then harassing the mother about how it's washing and wearing. Of course I'll totally do that - don't you know me at all by now???