Monday, September 03, 2007

Expectations

It's the most wonderful time of the year!


I love September! It's not just getting the kids out of the house - it's the schedule, it's the getting up and getting ready because you have important things to do. It's the going to bed on time. It's even eating a good breakfast and putting on sensible shoes. Since I was a teacher, too, the first day of school is always nostalgic for me. On one of my favorite first days of school, I met several confused freshmen students coming in to my math class. They would look at me, and then look around the room, and then sit down. Finally a very confident freshman came in, looked at me, and asked me, "Where's Mrs. Chew?" "I'm Mrs. Chew", I told him. "Sit down." He kind of shook his head, then told me that there was a rumor floating around that Mrs. Chew was a mean old chinese lady. I laughed all week. The rumor persisted even to Back To School night, when several parents told me that they weren't expecting, well, someone that looks like me. "Expecting a mean old chinese lady?" I would ask them. "I get that alot."

5 comments:

cko said...

And we know that mean teachers are always THE BEST! These people care so much about the student and their education. Parents have the same with their children. MEan when a child but the best friends when they are married!

chickenone said...

You made me laugh. Tyler started school today. I had anticipated the day for weeks, planning my morning run, leisurely read of the paper, etc.

Instead, I was sad as I dropped him off. As a reminder, I'm NEVER sad when I drop them off - what's wrong with me!

Hope you have a great week.

Tito Hahaha said...

I prefer the word "strict," but I can see how a mean math teacher might not be the same as average.

Did you see what I did there? I made a math pun.

alison said...

Happy First Day of School!

Sheila said...

A math pun! LOVE IT!