Monday, September 03, 2007

Eye Doctor

I went to the eye doctor on Saturday. I'm very familiar with the eye doctor - I had eye surgery when I was one and a half, and I've been going to the eye doctor almost annually ever since. I'm happy to report that my eyes have actually got a bit better in the last year, and my corneas are very healthy. This is really good news for me, since I am quite sure that glaucoma is in my future. Why? Well, let's take a look at the risk factors:

Glaucoma Risk Factors

Elevated eye pressure (yes)
Family history of glaucoma (yes)
Advanced age (not yet)
African American descent (no)
Cardiovascular disease (no)
Diabetes (no)
Myopia (near sightedness) (yes)
High blood pressure (yes)
Migraine headaches (no)

See how risky I am? I'm very careful to have the puff of air test and do those horrible visual fields regularly. Saturday, however, I got the added bonus of having my eyes dialated. This is something I've had done several times before, but I must be getting old, because it really did me in. Oh, my eyes are very healthy - absolutely no traces of glaucoma anywhere - but I had to take to my bed until those drops wore off. Seriously. I'd look at my eyes in the mirror, the pupils huge, and it almost gave me a panic attack.

I ordered up some new glasses because my other ones broke. Can you believe that? I was just sitting on the couch, knitting and watching Scrubs (what else?), and tink! The lens fell out and I looked down at the twisted, broken frames. Serious bummer.

Happy Labor Day, internet. We are going for a swim because it is very hot here.

No comments: