Thursday, October 18, 2007

Left or Right?

For many years now, I have considered myself to be an INTJ left-brained smarty pants. (Painful, but true.) But twice in the past two weeks I have tested to be right-brained. The first time was when my friend, Mary-LUE, asked me to fold my hands and look at which thumb was on top. It was my left, meaning that I am right-brained. No, I thought. I put my right thumb on top, and it just felt wrong. Clearly, I am left thumb on top, meaning right-brained.

Today I get this in my email. At first, no matter what I do, I can only see her turn clockwise. Meaning right-brained. After concentrating very hard, I saw her turn counterclockwise, too, but each time I walk away and come back, she's clockwise.

What if all this time I was wrong? What if I wanted to be left-brained, so I outsmarted the tests, but all the while, I'm really right-brained?

LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges
order/pattern perception
knows object name
reality based
forms strategies
practical
safe

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

Doesn't this change everything?

9 comments:

AmberJ said...

That is trippy! I am a right-brainer. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Hey, don't be too hard on yourself. the right brain is where all the creative stuff is.

Debbie said...

ok - this is totally tripping me out.
She's spinning clockwise, but if I flip my head to the right while looking at her and then flip back up, she's counter-clockwise.
I'm an INTJ too, but I'm right brained. Maybe I'm both brained - or no-brained?!?!?
You know those tests you take in elementary school that indicate what your strengths are? They said I should have been an engineer. So of course I studied art.
I'm soooooo confused!!!!! LOL

Sheila said...

I'm glad to be on the right-brained side, but since I've never thought of myself that way, it's unnerving.

And that spinning girl is such a trip!

Tito J said...

I can only see her going clockwise. My brain won't even consider other possibilities.

Sherry C said...

Ok, so I am right thumb on top and counter-clockwise spinner. So I am left-brained? Sounds like I am in a minority here.

Mary-LUE said...

Okay. Here's the deal. I know I am a right-brained person. You know I'm a right-brained person. But I see her spinning counter-clockwise. And Paul sees her spinning clockwise. But he is right-thumbed and I am left-thumbed.

Oh my!

Anonymous said...

The girl spins both ways and it's not how you look at it. It literally changes direction if you look at it long enough. At one point her left hand is out and at another time her right hand is out.
Whomever created the spinning girl did this on purpose to get people talking and confused, etc.
They fooled all of you!

Sherry C said...

Your know-it-all anonymous commenter needs to look at the spinny girl with someone else and compare notes. Note when you see it change directions and see if the other person sees the same thing.

Hmmm...now who's been fooled?

Mel said...

Oh boy...now I'm feeling like NO brain.....LOL

Wow......I make the spinny girl change directions over and over and over.
Wheeeeeee!