Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Knit Bit: Baby Blankets

I am finishing up a baby blanket for a friend who had a boy in October. I'm almost done sewing on the backing. (Back fabric is a cotton quilting fabric; yarn is Bernat Cotton Tots)

And for my sister, who wanted to see a picture of the back, this is the girl blanket that I made last month. I don't have a baby girl to give it to yet - I'm waiting to see who arrives first (I have five pregnant women in my life!). (Back fabric is a thick fleece fabric; yarn is Bernat Cotton Tots)

For the knitters: these are knit in the log cabin style, a la Mason Dixon Log Cabin. I started with the pattern for the Moderne Baby Blanket and adjusted it to my size preference. I am not very happy with the way I picked up the stitches, which is why I put a backing on them. I did some research and experimenting, and now I'm working on another one with Cotton-Ease yarn. I'll put up a post about how I figured out how to pick up the stitches for a smooth back to the blanket. I'm way loving the log cabin blankets.

3 comments:

Suzanna said...

oh the serendipity! I'm making the same kind of blanket as we speak. Mines out of Rowan Handknit DK Cotton and for a 60+ year old baby.
K told me about you and I'm glad that you came for a visit. Now off to Ravelry to befriend you there ;)

Mel said...

Gotta love the green backing with the knit pattern. How cute is that!

AmberJ said...

I love the log cabin knit. Very cute. Some day I hope to catch up with you and your knitting talents.