Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Best of 2007

My blog friend, MrsFish, does a year-end book review that I am totally going to copy here. Although she does a Top Ten, I'm just going to do a Best of the Year list. Click on the titles to read all my deep dark thoughts about the book.

Without further ado:

The Best Books I've Read This Year

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield - a fantastic book and by far my favorite of the year (please write more, Diane Setterfield!!!)

Thursday Next: First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde - He's just so darn clever! Each book is better than the last. How long can he keep this up?

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling - Yep, you knew it would be on my list. A great ending to a great series.

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion - A book that puts into words those things that we all feel but have trouble putting into words.

The Birth House by Ami McKay - Fascinating book about a young midwife.

Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner - Chick lit, for sure, but a step up from her normal style with a little murder-mystery thrown in to the mix. (The title comes from Goodnight Moon, a classic children's book.)

What was your favorite read of 2007? Leave me a note in the comments!

4 comments:

AmberJ said...

Based on your recommendations I read the Birth House and LOVED it and am reading the Thirteenth Tale and am LOVING it. Thanks for passing on these great books. Now to work my way the rest of the list...

Mel said...

Favorite read for last year?

The Time Traveler's Wife.

:-)

Sheila said...

Amber - so glad you like them! :)

Mel - yes! I liked that book, too.

mrsfish said...

I picked up 13th tale for the trip away - can't wait to start it. Thanks for the props :)