Friday, January 25, 2008

Knit Bit: Slippers

I finished the slippers on Sunday, and I felted them on Mondy. Felting proved to be all the fun crafty magic that it promised to be. It took one run through our washer on hot to get the job done. Here's the before picture:
And here's the after:
For those of you that are interested, felting is shrinking your knitted items on purpose. You can do it by hand or in the washing machine. It makes a fabric that feels, well, just like felt. (go figure) It only works with 100% wool yarn, so check the label before you try it yourself. (It is quite hard to get a nice picture of your own feet, and since my normal photographer (Sally) was at school, this is the best I could do!)

For the knitters:
Fuzzy Feet (from knitty.com)
Knitpicks yarn: Wool of the Andes in Amber Heather
US 10 1/2 needles (though next time I'd use US 10 for a snugger fit)
Yesterday was a nice, cold, rainy day. I put on my sweater and was cozy and warm. (Yes, it is the same yarn that I used for the slippers - I ordered way too much of the stuff for the sweater and I still have three or four balls left.)

1 comment:

Mel said...

Wow.....cool slippers!
And what a difference.
Perfect for subzero weather, methinks.