Monday, January 21, 2008

Little Donuts

Today has been a lovely morning. My darling kids let me sleep in a little bit (7:15, if you are wondering). When I woke, this is what I found:


Samuel was dressed already and Sally is reading to him. (Thanks, GrandBaa & El for the gift card. The kids each got four books yesterday and are very happy about using their own card.)

I had to reward such good behavior, and there's no better way to start a school holiday than with Mom's Little Donuts. I had a slight panic when I couldn't find the recipe, but Mom saved the day again (thanks, Mom!). I am posting it so next time I can't find it, hopefully the internet will be working and I can find it.
***********************************************

Mom's Little Donuts

2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg*
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk
1 egg

Mix all ingredients into a thick batter. Drop by spoonfuls into hot oil and fry on both sides until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel, then roll in a mixture of cinnamon & sugar. Enjoy while they're hot!

*It's the nutmeg taste that really makes these good, so don't skimp - use freshly grated nutmeg and use a full teaspoon (or more!).
From the recipe box of Sheila Chew from Musings of a Mommy
***********************************************
The kids love to bake with me. This is Samuel grating the nutmeg:
Here's Sally stirring:And of course, the eating:
January and February are fun months. Now we're going to read some more books, and maybe later we'll play some Uno or do a craft. Hope you are having a fun day, wherever you are!

3 comments:

Sherry C said...

I can't believe you make your own donuts. You know, you really make the rest of us look bad.

How is your eye today?

Thinking of you.

Mel said...

Okay.....now I'm hungry for donuts!

Thanks, mom!
(great photo--and what awesome kiddos to let the mom sleep in)

Tito Juanito Olvidado said...

Those are some shiny-haired children! And dressed and reading-- what more could you ask for...