Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Bread

A while back, I wanted to work on my pie crust making skills. But after making some chicken pot pies and one fruit pie, I stopped. It didn't do it for me. Then a few months after that, I remarked to a friend that I would like to try to make my own bread. Not bread machine bread, but knead it myself bread. I did a few rounds of sourdough, but the starter proved to be a bit of a problem for me. (Mainly, I kept overflowing the container. The mess wore me down.)

Lately, I've been making plain french bread - the recipe from the red and white plaid Better Homes cookbook. A dear family friend gave me this for a wedding present and it is the one standard that I turn to all the time. I have a shelf of cookbooks, and this is by far the best. Anyway, I've been making the plain yeast french bread, and boy is it good. Here's the latest batch:



I like the long skinny loaves. We ate one for dinner, and the other one I made into garlic cheese bread for the next night. I really like good bread. I may have to try the sourdough thing again. Stuart loves sourdough.


Last night I made Irish Brown Bread (recipe found here) and it was very tasty. A much thicker crust and very hearty, but the kids didn't like it as much. One nice thing - no yeast - so you make it, bake it, and it's done in about an hour total. The house smelled wonderful as it baked, too. I'm wondering if it would make a good pizza crust. I may have to experiment . . . .

Anyway, that's what's been going on in the kitchen. I'm still making the pumpkin cream cheese muffins often as everyone (excpet Mary) loves them. (Mary's not fond of pumpkin. I make her banana chocolate chip.) I'm baking a whole chicken tonight for dinner. Last night we watched a Good Eats about broccoli, and now we are looking for a recipe for a good broccoli slaw, which both Stuart and I have eaten and like, but we don't know how to make it. (Advice would be appreciated!) But making homemade bread, well, I've fallen for it. I love to make it. I love to see all that flour being mixed in. I love kneading the dough. I love the smell while it is baking. A simple pleasure.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

I am a big fan of the no-knead bread recipe, especially the version on the Splendid Table website where you keep the dough in your fridge for up to 2 weeks and voila! fresh bread on demand. yummmm.

cko said...

Baking bread is a passion with me. I'll email the recipe for cinnamon rolls that you can rise once and then bake the next morning right away! Try using a small bit of whole wheat flour each time for nutrition.

Mel said...

*happy sigh*

Baking break....there's no other smell like it.

Used to make break (without a machine) and rolls for weekend mornings.... Ohhhhhh....I can feel a bread baking weekend comin' now!