Thursday, May 22, 2008

Cornea Update

I went to the eye doctor for a checkup yesterday and my eye is completely healed. Thank God! Dr. K said it looks great and there is very little scaring. My vision is even back to what it was before all this mess started and my eye pressures are back to normal, too. For those of you who forgot, I was diagnosed with RCE (recurrant corneal erosion) and had to have two debrisments (removing the damaged top layer of my cornea) to fix it. Anyway, Dr. K told me to keep doing what I am doing, which is using eyedrops (Systane) three times a day, and then ointment at night (Muro 128 5%). These are both available without a perscription, by the way. My own treatment includes a multivitamin, vitamin E, and flaxseed oil supplements. I also run a cool mist humidifier every night and try to drink lots of water. Also, I've stopped wearing eye makeup. I can't tell you what a great thing that has been. I had no idea how much time I wasted putting on makeup, checking makeup, and taking off makeup every day. Guys have it easy.

I am so thankful that I have been pain free. It was a real trial. This is something that I'll have to watch and manage for the rest of my life, but the drops and ointment aren't so bad. We also talked about a more aggressive dry eye therapy, like punctal plugs (which are teeny little plugs that go in the corners of your eyes - in the eye drains) to keep the natural tears in my eyes, but I don't need to do that now. For now, I just have to stay the course. So a big thanks to everyone for your prayers and good wishes and concern, and a big shout out to my husband, my Mom and Dad, friends Stephenee, Wendy, Marsha, Leah, Melanie, and Tracy, who helped me by driving me around, holding my hand, bringing me food, and watching my kids. You have all been a blessing to me, the hands and feet of God.

2 comments:

grandma tina said...

Yay!!!! PTL!

cko said...

Great news! Seems like a simple thing of dry eyes but we take so much for granted. Keep up the added moisture and so happy you are pain free with retored vision! Wow!