Tuesday, July 29, 2008

5.8

I was standing in the parking lot of the grocery store when I felt the ground move. I looked down, thinking I had to be standing on a manhole cover or something, I realized that the shaking was getting stronger and I was standing on smooth blacktop and this had to be an earthquake. It lasted several seconds, all the cars were rocking back and forth, and then it was over. About one minute later, people started coming out of the store, every single one of them on the phone.

We are all fine. Sally was at the park with her BFF and she called me to check on me (she's type A, that's for sure) and Stuart called next to say that his entire floor (he's on the fifth, I think) was shaking and he was going to go to lunch. No damage at the house - just a few things knocked off of shelves. I'm pretty sure the dog slept through the whole thing. If there are aftershocks, I'll keep you posted on our status.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for letting us know, Sheila! Man, I learned on the earthquake thru Twitter, then I went right to your blog to check on you. What a weird world we live in!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everything is fine. It's fun to hear a first hand description. Jenni emailed soon after the one in Seattle a few years back.
A. Di

AmberJ said...

I asked my hubby last night, "Did you hear there was an earthquake in California today?"
And, with all the sympathy he could muster, he replied, "Yeah. That's kind of like saying, 'The sun was shining in California today.'"

So glad to hear you're OK. And that you are enjoying the beach and the sunshine! :)