Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What happens in Vegas . . . .

I'm back! I've had the best last week and a half of the whole summer. Last week I drove the kids to Barstow and dropped them off with my parents and their cousins for a week of Cousins Camp. Cousins Camp is the great idea of my parents to have all the cousins (four - ages 8, 6, 5, and 5) at their house for a week. This was the second year. They all had fun, but my mom is having second thoughts about a whole week of camp. (hee hee - she's very tired today!)

I had the brainchild of an idea to have a girls weekend with my sister in Vegas before the kid pickup. Then we figured out that since Vegas has the largest airport by my parent's house, they could bring the kids to us. In Vegas. We all thought this was a great idea and my sister made some airline reservations. Sadly (or not), the airline changed her tickets at the last minute, so we started our weekend on Friday instead of Saturday. We had a ball. We joined three frequent players clubs (for the freebies), we played some slots (the penny ones), we played bingo (she won!), we got pedicures, we saw a show (Mystere at Treasure Island), we slept in until 9:00, and we even found time to lay by the pool and people watch. (Our favorite game was "How Drunk Are They?" and "How Drunk Were They Last Night?" Scale of 1 to 10. Super fun game. Best played by the coffee shop around 10:00 am.) All in all, a fantastic time.

The parents and the kids came on Sunday, and we spent the afternoon by the pool. The Flamingo has great pools for kids - three of the pools are connected by water slides, which my kids loved. We tired out the kids, took them to dinner, and put them to bed. Monday we all went home. So fun.

And today is the traditional travel detox day. I've unpacked all the luggage, cleaned out the car (and vaccumed it - it was a mess), started the laundry, and cleaned the pool. I still have to download my pictures, clean out my purse, respond to Sherry's fun blog game, and figure out if any of my library books are overdue. Oh - while the kids were gone, I joined another library. Lovely. Now I'm a member of three. (!!!) (MrsFish, my newest library has the book you recommended, Winter's Tale. When the weather turns colder, I'm going to finally get to read it!) Also Stuart and I were able to go out on a real dinner date, which was very fun.

I'm running out of days of summer. I still haven't taken the kids to the beach. Maybe tomorrow . . . .

2 comments:

Lisa P said...

Wow! That does sound fun. We went to Vegas for Aris' birthday last year, just the two of us. It was a blast--but I wish we had known about your game!

cko said...

Summer is quite special. You are so wonderful to do special things with the kids. They will really appreciate it when they are older. It is having the memories!