Thursday, August 21, 2008

More Trip Stuff

Our whirlwind weekend drive to Northern California (a total of 16 hours in the car, and I only had to drive about 3 of them - thanks, Stu!) was to celebrate the birthdays of our nieces, K and M. My sister-in-law invited the whole fam, so since we missed everyone earlier this summer due to being sick, we were able to make up for it. We saw lots of people. That, coupled with the fact that I got four hours of sleep the night before, accounts for the shocking lack of proper photos. Ah well. Go on over to facebook and check out the pics there - Kristy has lots of good ones. Uncle Cliff sent me a great shot of Samuel: Later, after everyone left, we busted open Samuel's birthday gift from his GrandBaa and Grandma El:
Aerosmith Guitar Hero (Stuart did that to his sleeves)

Sally tried it out:
(that's her cousin K with her)

and cousin M thought she was playing, too:
Yeah, baby.

Thoughtfully, they gave me a set of earplugs. (Little do they realize that I'll be making the kids' bedtime a wee bit earlier so that I can get a turn . . . . )

We were able to stop by my sister's house and have lunch with her and her boys, then check out the baby kittys - her cat had four babies last month. Waaaayyy cute. The little black and white one they named Cow is so cute (and the name is perfect!), and they have two black ones and one grey tiger striped one. Sally was quite charmed. (I guess I was, too, because again, no pictures. Cripes - this is a terrible theme I have going here.)
On the drive home, I watched the moon rise. I realized that I haven't done this in a long time. I think that's because the moon usually rises right as the kids are going to bed, and that's when I get quite a bit of work done. I was driving home, and it was very very dark, and then as the moon rose the darkness became not so dark, and the moon became brighter and brighter. It was very peaceful and beautiful. Also, we had stopped at Borders and picked up a book on cd - Elizabeth Peter's Crocodile on the Sandbank. Both Stuart and I have read it, but listening to it is pretty delightful. The story coupled with the moon turned out to be a perfect match. I'm going to have to remember to watch the moon rise again. (It's full on September 15th - I'm going to mark my calendar)
Thanks to everyone who made our trip a fun time, and especially to Grandma Tina and Grandpa Ken for their wonderful hospitality. Thanks to the kids, too, for not throwing up and for being great little travelers. You two are troopers!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shame on you for not stopping by when you are in this neck of the NorCal woods . . . Dan & I want to meet the kids and we would love to see you and Stu :o) I guess since it was a whirlwind weekend I can forgive, but next time . . . Christy

Alli said...

Very cute pictures of the kids. And I love the idea of the red scarf project--very sweet.

I have a confession, though. You mentioned Crocodile on the Sandbank, and I thought "Hmmm, that sounds familiar." I looked at my bookshelf and found it and then realized with much guilt that it is YOUR book. I borrowed it, hmm, let's see, 4 1/2 years ago. And as I sat there remembering, I recalled that this is one of your favorite books. Sorry!

Okay, gotta go. I have to run to the post office and return your book to you. Bad, Alli, Bad!

Sheila said...

Alli - that is funny! :) have you READ it??? You can read it first before you send it back! As you can tell, I haven't missed it since I loaned it to you.

Sheila said...

Christy - we were east of Sacramento - are you over that way now? I hope to take the kids up again when there is snow at my in-laws house (would that be Jan or Feb?) so maybe we can arrange a meeting! It would be a BLAST to see you!