Thursday, August 14, 2008

Yummy Frozen Dessert

It's been awhile since I posted a new recipe here, but this one will be worth the wait. Promise. My mom made this when we were there for my aunt's wedding, and it was so good Sally wanted it for her birthday. (Yes, in lieu of a normal birthday cake. It's that good.) I think my mom got it from one of those free recipe brochures from the grocery store.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Frosty Orange Dream Squares

40 Nilla wafers, crushed
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 cups cold milk
2 pkg vanilla instant pudding (the 4 servings box)
one 8 oz. tub Cool Whip
2 cups orange sherbet, softened

Line 9" x 13" pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan. (Sheila's helpful tip: make room for the pan in your freezer, clearning a level shelf and putting the pan inside to verify that it fits) Mix wafers and butter. Press into bottom of pan. Mix milk and pudding with a wire whisk until smooth. Add half of the cool whip and whisk until smooth. Spoon over crust and smooth. Put in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. Mix sherbet and the rest of the cool whip until smooth. Spoon over pudding layer and cover. Freeze three hours or overnight. Use foil to remove the entire thing from pan and cut into squares. Makes 24 servings.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sally and I got to thinking that this recipe would be good with different flavors. Today I made another batch, using chocolate pudding, vanilla ice cream, and then I had some leftover chocolate frosting (don't ask) that I heated up and drizzled on the top. Pretty, and pretty tasty, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe. Luv luv luv these tasty refreshing Summer treats!!! Michelle :o)

Mel said...

Uh oh....given that someone loves sherbet in this house--I might haffta try my hand at this one.