Friday, September 12, 2008

Knit Bit: Evil Genius

Sometimes, several things come together at once. This is what happened: I love to knit, and I love all things Harry Potter. So I was thinking about the things that I have knit, and the things that are considered "traditional knitted items", and I got this idea that I wanted to knit a tea cozy. Tea cozies are, to me, kind of a classic and sometimes tacky knitted object. (It's akin to those plastic canvas kleenex covers or crocheted toilet paper covers. It's classic and tacky at the same time.) So as I was thinking about this, and looking at some tea cozy patterns (all of them uninspiring to me), Stuart suggested that I make a Harry Potter inspired tea cozy. YES! This really inspired me. (He inspires me all the time, actually.)

The fifth movie, Order of the Phoenix, features a great character - Dolores Umbridge. (pictured below) She's pure evil in the books, but the movie really brought out the evil genius of Professor Umbridge. She wears pink all of the time. She talks in a high, sweet, kind voice. She's short. She looks like a favorite aunt. And she's still pretty vile. And in the movie, she drinks tea.

Enter the final element: a Harry Potter themed contest on Ravelry (yes, of course I'm doing it!) and put all these elements together and out comes this:


The Evil Genius Tea Cozy


Here's the back:


It says "Naughty children deserve to be punished" - one of Professor Umbridge's tradmark sayings. It's embroidered in a french script with yarn that is actually purple (it looks a little black in this picture).

It makes me laugh every time I look at it. Special thanks to Stuart for the idea, and to my mom for the tea pot.

Knitters: I'll be posting the pattern here soon. You can have it free and make one yourself!

6 comments:

AmberJ said...

That is PURE genius! I would ask: "How...? What? Huh...?!" But I know you, the little math genius, would say something about numbers being our friend, blah, blah, blah...

What I mean to say is, cute cozy! Love the theme. (and it matches so well!)

Sheila said...

Thanks, Amber! :)

alison said...

Cute, clever and funny - a definite winner.

Tito J said...

Nerd!

Sheila said...

Aw, thanks Jon! You made my day :)

grandma tina said...

VERY clever!!!! And, SO talented with the knitting needles :)