Thursday, September 25, 2008

An Open Letter

Dear Mom,

I thought of you this morning when Sally spilled her glass of milk. It got on the homework she was finishing, it ran across the table, it dripped through the seam in the middle of the table down to three chairs. It pooled under the table, then ran across the floor. It took me over an hour to clean it all up.

As I was gritting my teeth against the frustration and anger, I realized that I never properly thanked you for never yelling at us when we spilled our milk (or our juice or water or any of the other dozens of things we spilled over the years). So, Mom, thank you for never yelling at us. Because of your fine example, I didn't yell at your granddaughter today.

I even held her hand on the walk to school and told her it was no big deal and that I wasn't mad at all. Once I said it, I knew I meant it, too.

Love,
Sheila

4 comments:

geekyhistorian said...

Here, here. Bravo, Supermom.


:)

Oh and will I be quoted? We had such a Scottish morning...HAHA.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sheila - makes me feel good to know that I did something right. My mother would yell at us when we spilled our milk - so I vowed not to yell at my kids. Glad you are not yelling at my granddaughter over something that was an accident in the first place. Keep up the good work. Love ya, Mom

Jeff said...

What a wonderful letter. I see my daughter-in-law with my grand daughter and I marvel at her patience. It is so wonderful to be so loving! ck

All Rileyed Up said...

Yesterday, my daughter spilled a blueberry shake all over her new dress, and in exasperation, I simply exclaimed her name. Her bottom lip started to tremble and then tears, oh the tears. I was appropriately shamed and then had to spend the next twenty mintues explaining to her that I wasn't mad at her and that accidents happen.