Saturday, December 06, 2008

It's come to this.

Back when we first got married, I was very specific about my gift needs with my new husband. Major appliances did not count as Christmas or anniversary or birthday gifts. If the washer happened to break some time after Halloween, he could not buy a new washing machine and announce, "Merry Christmas honey!" Not acceptable.

After the first few years, I told him to not get me an anniversary gift - just a card and take me out to dinner. On our ninth anniversary I told him I expected something Very Nice for our tenth anniversary, and he had a year to shop. (He did very very well, but I suspect that his mom "helped" quite a bit. (thankyouthankyouthankyou!))

For the past few weeks, I've been telling him all I want for Christmas is a new vacuum cleaner. I suspect that he didn't believe me and that he secretly is hoping that this isn't some sick kind of joke. It's not - that is really all I want. Bagless. HEPA filter. Attachments that I'll actually use. And yesterday, I got it. A store by us is going out of business, and they are down to 40-60% off. Stuart called me twice to see if I went to check the deals and get my vacuum. The one I got was the last one - the floor model - and I got it for a steal. I'm really really happy with it. I brought it home and tried it out, then called Stuart. "Hi honey! Guess what? I just vacuumed our bedroom, and then I walked out, and I left shoe marks on the carpet! Shoe marks! This vacuum ROCKS!"

Today, Sally and I used every single attachment - which, by the way, all of them are "on board" in nifty little slots - and we cleaned baseboards and corners and the fan vents in the bathroom (ah, yuck!) and then we emptied it and were totally disgusted with ourselves. Then we took the sheets off of the bed and vacuumed the mattress. We kept saying to each other, "It's very sucky!" (Points will be given for the first commenter to identify the movie that quote is from!)

I'm thrilled. About a vacuum. Merry Christmas to me.

3 comments:

Alli said...

Elf! :)
Congrats on your new vac. Was it Linens n Things? Ours is going out of business here. Maybe I'll go look for a new vaccuum, too! :)

Child of God said...

Sheila: You're cracking me up. I asked for a vacuum last Christmas for our 15th anniversary. Bagless. Hepa. etc. I don't know the last time I was so excited about a present. I was vacuuming everything. And yes, it IS disgusting what's down in the carpet. This is what we've come to. Next week is our 16th anniversary. We're going on a cruise. I guess that's slightly better than a vacuum cleaner, but not much. =)

Sheila said...

Good job Alli! It was Elf! :) And it was Linens and Things - a Hoover Wind Tunnel that I got for under $100. I'm really happy with it. I have to learn how to clean out all the parts, though - I've emptied it twice already! (yuck, huh? In my defense, our old vacuum broke about a month ago. Yeah, that's it.)