Monday, February 02, 2009

Tip of the Week

My son helped a classmate celebrate his birthday today - the young man's clever mom brought kool-aid popsicles with frozen fruit inside. What an excellent idea - plastic cups, plastic spoons, grapes & strawberries & bananas, and kool-aid. I wish I had thought of that.

I'll probably copy it, since there are cupcake-shunning food wardens patroling our public schools. Aahh, the days were every mom brought thrity-two homemade over-frosted cupcakes to celebrate a birthday. Almost makes me want to move to Texas, where I hear that they have a law that you CAN bring homemade cupcakes to school. (I don't know if that's true - it's just what I hear. (that was my disclaimer in case I'm wrong) )

The other best birthday celebration idea was fat-free sugar-free pudding cups with whipped cream. The kids loved that.

What are your good ideas for birthday celebrations at school?

3 comments:

AmberJ said...

What about popcorn balls? I used to love those!

Funny, I always know it's a birthday-day because Calvin has a cupcake for a snack at school. Seems like there have been a lot for only 12 kids in his class...hmmmm

Child of God said...

What's the deal with no birthday cupcakes? What's the problem?

Sheila said...

I love popcorn balls! Great idea!

Our school district (and I don't know if it goes higher than this level) has a new policy that birthday treats need to be low-cal or nutritionally balanced. I think this to promote healthy eating habits, but in my opinion, more rules will not accomplish this goal.

Oh, it's actually a law in California. See this article: http://articles.latimes.com/2006/sep/27/local/me-cupcake27