Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Surreal

After I posted about our trip and got Sam back to school, we lasted about one day and then Sally got sick. Thankfully, she wasn't as sick as Sam, but still. The flu is no fun.

Once Sally was back to health, I lost my voice. Then I got sick too. I had a cold/flu combo that was really no fun at all. (I didn't even knit or read - that's bad.) In the middle of my illness, I got a fever. I don't know about you, but when I get a fever, I feel like a crazy person. My body wants to sleep, but my mind races around inside my head and won't slow down so I can sleep. So I lie in bed, wishing for sleep, but instead thinking crazy thoughts at rapid speeds. I hate this.

I must be getting old, because it took me a long while to recover from being sick. When my head finally cleared, there was a backup of laundry and we were out of bread and milk. I threw in a load of clothes, dropped the kiddos off at school, and headed to the grocery. Let me ask you this: when did bread get so expensive? Even the cheap store sliced bread costs almost $2. The kind I really like but never buy anymore is $3.79! Cripes.

So now I feel like I'm on top of things again. Everyone is healthy. There is food in the house, clean clothes in drawers (ok, in clothes baskets in the rooms, but still CLEAN), and my head is thinking clear rational thoughts. (Go rationality!)

I think the highlight of the week has been the mix cd that Stuart made for me (and Sally) for Valentine's Day. We've been listening to it pretty much non-stop since Feb. 14, and Sam has learned almost all the words to the country song "Chicken Fried". He sings it in a southern accent. It's priceless. If I am ever lucky enough to get him on video, I'll probably post it all over the internet. I can't think of many things better than a five year old singing the line, "Cold beer on a Friday night!" at the top of his lungs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you're up and around again.
A. Di