Tuesday, July 28, 2009

lots going on

Summer is in full swing over here at our house, and the days seem to fly by faster and faster. Some days I want time to slow down - like Sunday night when we were at the park, listening to big band music and watching the kids play (we were there with two other families) and sharing crackers and brownies and there was a cool breeze and it was one of those ultimate summer moments. Other times, when the kids are fighting or ganging up against me, I can't wait for the first day of school. (I read somewhere that one mom's favorite days are the last day of school and the first day of school. I know what she means.)

Sally had a great time at summer camp. She barely missed us, but she'll tell you she missed Dad and Mom alot. Don't believe it. We got one letter while she was gone - addressed to Sam and containing two sentences - which we received three days after she got home. I don't feel bad about it - that's the way camp should be. Fun and busy and barely time to miss anyone because you are either having a ball or fast asleep.

Sam had two weeks of VBS (two different churches) and he had a great time. I would like to be able to tell you that I got loads of things done while the kids were off learning about the bible, but that would be far from the truth. I did read some books this summer, and I've been knitting (of course). Mostly I was catching up from being gone for a week - I took the kids and went to visit my sister and her family. We had a really nice time together.

Sally had a soccer tournament this past weekend, so we spent several hours on Saturday and Sunday watching her team play games. Although they didn't win, their last game was a good one - the teams were well matched and both scored a few goals - and it's always fun to watch a good soccer game. I got really sunburned on Saturday, so on Sunday I geared up with lots of sunscreen, a hat, an umbrella, and I sat in the shade at all times.
Today I took the kids to the beach. They love Laguna Beach because of the tidepools there. We went early in the morning, and it was nice and overcast. I sat on my blanket (big hat, long sleeves, covered up with a sarong) and watched them play together in the ocean. When they get along, they are darling wonderful children. See?
This is where we like to park - by the Laguna Beach Lawn Bowling Club:
And check it out - a parking meter that takes VISA!
That's a new one for me.

No comments: