Thursday, July 02, 2009

open eyes

I've had a few of you wonder how I figured out that I've been sleeping with my eyes open. Well, one night I had been asleep for less than an hour when I woke up and my "good" eye felt very dry and irritated. I thought that was strange, then I realized that I closed it as I was waking up, which meant that it had been open. I haven't been back to the doctor since I've had this realization, but I have taken the following measures:

(1) I make sure all ceiling fans are off and that any other fan is not pointed toward my face
(2) I put on a good amount of goopy eye cream (muro 125 ointment) into both eyes, and make sure that it melts onto the surface of my eye and doesn't slide to the edge
(3) I wear an eye mask (the satin fabric kind) that I smear some vaseline onto the area that will be by my eye, and then I gently press that part against my eye so that it sort of sticks to my face

So far so good, but sadly I know that it could all change in one night. I usually wake up with the mask still on my face, but a few mornings I find it next to me on the pillow. I'm not sure what I do in the night. I did have one eye doctor tell me that I could tape my eyes shut with those eye patches, but he doesn't recommend it. I'm thinking of inventing some kind of night eye goggles, with a sensor so that when your eye opens, it sprays a light mist of eye drops into your eyes. Great idea, huh? But who would buy something like that? Probably only me, and then half of the time I'd take them off while I sleep. Maybe one of those sleeping chambers that fill with liquid like in that movie Daredevil. That would be really creepy, huh?

4 comments:

Uncle Helpful said...

Get a scuba mask and sleep underwater! Salinated water...

cko said...

Great discovery! Keep up the closed eyes.

Sheila said...

Gee thanks Uncle Helpful! I'll look into that . . . .

Amber said...

Electric shock therapy?