Thursday, October 08, 2009

bi-monthly blog?

Everyone around here seems to be adjusted to the school schedule, but our lives are very full these days. The kids are keeping busy with school and homework and playdates, and Sally has soccer and flute and Sam has gymnastics. (And phone calls. For both of them. Sam got his first friend phone call yesterday - Sally answered the phone and yells out "Sam! It's for you!" and I was totally caught off guard. Then, I heard Sam say, "OK! I'll put you on speakerphone and go get on-line!" WHAT??? Yes, my six year old knows how to put someone on speaker phone and how to log on to Club Penguin to network with his friends from school Seriously. I don't know whether to be scared or proud.)

I've had a few sub jobs and a few sub-Lunch-Lady jobs, and I've been keeping busy with the cooking, cleaning, laundry, homework, and being Personal Assistant and Driver for both kids. I've been knitting lots of things, but some are gifts and some are other things I can't talk about yet (mysterious, yes, but the waiting is killing me too). Yesterday I got the crazy idea to knit some traditional colorwork mittens, like these:
I know, I know. Latvian two-color mittens! I live in Southern California, and these have no practical purpose in my life, but I might go somewhere cold some day, and they would make a lovely gift for someone, so I think I might just go ahead and make some. Also, this solves another little problem that I have - I made a green scarf for myself last year, thinking that I would try out this yarn and see if I want to use it for a sweater. I don't. It's too itchy. So, I have about half of a skein left. Of course, I decide to make some gloves. So I start off and get almost done with the first one when I realize that I will not have nearly enough for a second glove. So I put it away for a few weeks, avoiding the fact that I'll need to buy more yarn (to use up extra yarn! crazy) or rip out the glove. After making about five other pairs of gloves with different yarn, I ripped out the almost-finished green glove and decide to make a hat. Slouchy knit hats are all the rage this year, so I find a pattern and cast on. It's charming, I love it, and guess what? I think I may run out of yarn. (@%&*) But now I really like this hat, and I don't want to rip out another project, so if I go out and get more of this color to finish the hat, then I can get a contrasting color for the gloves! Problem solved!

See why I have no time to blog? Just thinking about all this takes most of the morning.

Yesterday I was most productive. I washed my car, went to the post office, visited a friend, volunteered at school, had lunch with a new friend, went grocery shopping, picked up the kids, took Sam to get a haircut, helped the kids with homework, made homemade soup, cleaned the kitchen, folded laundry, and took Sally to soccer practice. Today I woke up an hour early for some reason. I'm going to fall into a coma around 7:30 tonight. I better get all my stuff done. Maybe I should start with another cup of coffee . . . .

3 comments:

Lisa P said...

Yikes! You are full over there!

cko said...

Thank you for writing. I check every day. Life is so wonderful to be busy and wonder where the time went! Love you all!

dre b said...

it really is quite amazing how the time just gets filled up so quickly. it's been a little frenetic at work for me lately, so my new thing is "unscheduled time"...