Friday, January 15, 2010

Mr. Nubbs

Our dog came home from the vet yesterday - he was tired, but he did great. Sadly, he must wear The Cone of Shame for about ten days, until the tail heals and they can take the stitches out.

He hates The Cone.
I took it off so he could eat and drink. Yesterday, Sally hand fed him, and I helped him drink water. That cone is pretty big on him. He keeps running into stuff and scraping up against the walls. It's funny and sad at the same time. He won't fit in his kennel, where he usually sleeps at night. So, for the next ten days, he's going to sleep with us. I tried to get him to sleep on the floor - I put his blanket out and hoped the pain pills would make him groggy enough to trick him to sleep there, but nothing doing. Even The Cone wouldn't prevent him from jumping up on our bed and sleeping on my feet. I felt so bad for the poor guy that I let him.
Here's the tail. It's not so bad, right?

We still love him. He may drive me crazy at times, but he's a good dog.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, dear. Obviously, I sympathize! Does Mr. Nubbs HAVE to wear a hard cone? I was surprised but Chickens came home from surgery with a soft one. Don't get me wrong, he still hated it passionately, but I think it was easier on him than the hard one and it still did the job. One of my friends who used to be a vet tech told me the soft ones are actually meant for cats. Whatever, I was just glad because after three or four days, he relaxed quite a bit in it. Anyway, good luck, and may the 10 days pass quickly :-) p.s. Cone of Shame - I love it

cynko5 said...

Ten days is a long time and enough time to readjust a life style. Hope Mr. Nubb's is feeling better.