Wednesday, January 06, 2010

New Year

It's a new year. 2009 was a pretty good year for me. I was mostly happy, mostly content, and mostly healthy. There were a few changes here and there, but for the most part it was same song, next verse. Stu started a new job, and Sam started first grade. I started the job hunt, which was not as successful as I had hoped, but still. I'm working part-time and I'm able to pick up the kids from school, which I count as a huge blessing. I was thinking yesterday what a privilege it is to have room in my life for my kids to be able to take me for granted. They take it for granted that I will be there after school. They take it for granted that I will make them lunch if they don't want to buy. They take it for granted that there will be money on their account if they buy lunch. This is a real luxury, as a parent, to be able to provide this for them. I don't take it for granted at all.

So, new year. I'm not a big fan of New Year as a holiday - I don't do any of the typical new year things like clean the house the day before or leave money out as a symbol of good luck or eat anything special to mark the day. I did stay up late with friends, which is something. Also, I've been thinking about resolutions. I started making a few (get my hair cut, go to the dentist) and they seemed more like a to-do list, which I think misses the point. But yesterday I thought of a really good one.

My new year's resolutions for 2010 is to find a cause. I want to find something that I care about and believe in and I want to invest myself in. I don't know if it will be a medical cause, like breast cancer or leukemia or brain tumors or children's hospitals, and I'll walk a 5K (or try and run with Sally and not kill myself). Maybe it will be political and I'll find a local campaign and get involved. I don't know. Maybe it will be something smaller, something in our community. But I want a cause. I want a thing. And I'm going to take the whole first part of the year to look and listen and pray and wait.

So happy new year everyone! Hope your celebrations were safe and you are off to a wonderful 2010. Be sure to mark your calendars for the math geeky fun days of the year - 6-8-10, 8-9-10, and 10-10-10. (Next year, we'll get 1-1-11 and 11-11-11!)

1 comment:

Lisa P said...

Don't forget that we've aleady had
01022010!

And as for your resolution, I took a class one time that helped me write a mission statement for my life, and it really helped me find what it is that breathes life into me. For me, it turned out to be helping people to a lightbulb moment--you know the kind where they GET it? That was awesome for me to understand because it connected the dots on why I like teaching, coaching, and now leading a small group. They seem unrelated, but in the end, they are all the same thing! So in search for your cause, I encourage you to figure out what breathes life into you and then find that niche in a good cause!