Wednesday, January 27, 2010

now the rain is (hopefully) gone

We had a crazy week of rain. It hasn't rained that much in a long time. I learned that although I do like the rain, I do not like driving in the rain. I don't like walking the dog in the rain either, but I had to do that several times a day because he wouldn't go unless someone walked him. It took a few days for me to realize that my kids were totally capable of walking the dog - by themselves. I'm almost ashamed to write about the pure joy I felt when I handed them a plastic bag and reminded them that they had to pick up his poop. I felt very light and free.

We had thunder and lightening. That was really fun and reminded me of my childhood - I grew up in the midwest and thunderstorms were frequent. We had a tornado warning - I laughed at that, but I guess a car was turned over by the twister, so I shouldn't laugh. We had hail - the kids loved that. The hail churned up the pool and it looked like it was boiling. It was fun to watch. (Of course, we were safely home in our warm house watching the hail. If it had hailed during pick-up-the-kids-from-school time, it wouldn't have been much fun at all.) We never lost power, although that didn't stop me from lighting up a few candles every night just in case. I love candles at night when it's raining outside. It feels so comfy and safe.

The dog hated the rain. He had to stay inside, but since I didn't trust him to wander around the house, I kept him on his leash. The kids felt sorry for him and they made him a little bed. He couldn't scratch his face or ears because of the cone, so the kids would take turns scratching his face for him. It was cute, but it didn't change the fact that I was continually mad at the dog for peeing in my room, puking in my room, and knocking over the trash cans. Also, I put him in the garage when I left, and he punished me by peeing and pooping in there. So, when I came home, first I'd get the dog, walk him (so he wouldn't pee in the house), tie him up in the office area, go in the garage and clean up any messes, and then clean up the door area where all the wet dog prints and muddy shoes left a mess. (Note to self: if we ever move to a rainy climate, don't have a dog) So his tail is healing well - he got the bandages off yesterday, and will get the stitches out next week. Yep, one more week with The Cone of Shame. I put a small pic of his tail up - it's not too ugly, but I know not everyone is interested in seeing this kind of thing.

Well, that's about all for now. I think the rain is gone. The sky is a brilliant shade of blue today and the air is crisp and cool. I'm off to run some errands, see a student, and pick up the kids. These are busy days, but there is always something to be thankful for, and moments where I see the hard work of parenting starting to pay off. There is the daily work of keeping a family and household running, but there is also time to play and time to rest. We are so blessed. It's nice to write and reflect on that, to underline it in my mind. Hope your day is well -take some time to be thankful.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

you rock!

cynko5 said...

Blessings flow continuously even when we don't know it until later. Hard for ten consecutive days of rain but the earth brings forth treasures. So nice to see the tulips and daffodils sprouting. February always seems warmer and a false thought of SPRING. God is good and we are so fortunate.