Sunday, February 21, 2010

Olympic Knitting

I've been knitting while watching the olympics this week, and it's been great. Watching winter sports while knitting a warm wool something is very cathartic for me. I've decided to make February the month to finish projects - kind of an olympic challenge. Lots of on-line knitters do olympic knitting projects - there are team events on Ravelry, and followers of the Yarn Harlot pick a challenging project to start and finish in the two weeks of the olympics. I thought about doing that, but then remembered that I had eight projects in the works. Eight is a lot for even me, so I'm going to see how many I can finish before the end of the month.

So, here's my list:
(1) a scarf
(2) a baby blanket
(3) a sweater
(4) a blue glove
(5) a hat
(6) purple & green gloves
(7) a pair of socks
(8) a tea cozy

I am happy to report I'm doing very well. I finished the scarf

which is for my bff's mom, and I finished the baby blanket on our road trip last weekend.
I have to wash the blanket and send it off, but it turned out exactly the way I pictured it in my head, and I love the colors.

I'm almost finished with one sleeve on the sweater,
which leaves me with one more sleeve, the button bands, and weaving in the ends. I'll be thrilled if I can weave in the ends during the closing ceremonies next Saturday. (Last night I started the second sleeve, and the first one is still on hold because I'm obsessing about sleeve length, but I think I've got it figured out so by the time the second one is done I should have a final decision on how many more rounds of cables to do.) This sweater is a birthday gift for my sister, who lives where it sometimes snows and can always use another sweater.

The blue glove has a story.
I knit the pair and tried something new which did not work, so I ripped the whole thing out and started over. I'm almost halfway through the second time.

The hat has a story too. I made a Star Wars hat for Sam for Christmas, but alas, my gauge was very off and the hat is for Stuart. I'm making a much smaller one for Sam - the brim is done and I'm in the colorwork section. I would be very surprised if I get to any of the last three projects this month. I'm half way done with the first of the purple & green gloves, and they require concentration and attention to the pattern, which is why I am putting them off. The socks have been sitting in the bottom of my knitting pile for almost a year, and the tea cozy is delightful and fun, but I'm fine with it taking a long time to finish.

So there's my olympic knitting projects. I'm so excited that it's almost time for ladies figure skating!

2 comments:

cynko5 said...

Such beautiful work! And colors. You are so so talented!

Tammy said...

I agree cynko5. I am so inspired by Sheila on a daily basis. Can we do the socks together? I would love to learn that next and I bought some sock yarn the other day.