Monday, May 24, 2010

Conversations with the Kids

(while discussing how many days of school are left)
Sam:  "Too bad the last day of school isn't my birthday.  My birthday is the week next."
Me:  "Yes.  The last day of school is actually MY birthday."
Sally:  "Yeah, and you'll be FORTY!"  (my age delights her)
Sam:  (pausing for effect, and totally serious)  "Really?  I thought you were going to be twenty-nine again."
Me:  "Sam.  I love you."
Sally:  (rolling her eyes)  "You know he doesn't mean that!"
Me:  "Doesn't matter.  I love compliments of any kind.  Compliments and chocolates."
Sam:  (pretending to be confused)  "What?"


(The really funny part about all of this is that I have never joked about being twenty-nine again or celebrating the anniversary of my twenty-ninth birthday.  I don't know where he gets this stuff.)

No comments: