Thursday, June 10, 2010

Recipe for Enchiladas

I made up this recipe after eating Amy's frozen vegan black bean enchiladas, which are very yummy and I still keep in the freezer in case I don't have any of my own left.  Since I started making these, I've made them every other week by request - they are seriously good.  (And easy.)  I tried using leftover cooked zuchini, and it was not as good.  Raw veggies are better.  You can use cooked meat if you eat meat, or skip the fake meat altogether.  I buy extra sauce, because we like a lot of sauce around here.  They are also good with a side of mexican rice and cheese on top.  (Or fake cheese, if you avoid the dairy.)

Sheila's Enchiladas

one can black beans, rinsed
one can pinto beans, rinsed
one package soy "meat" (taco or mexican flavor)
1-2 cups frozen corn
1-2 cups cooked brown rice
2 zuchini, chopped into small pieces
1 red bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
2-3 cans enchilada sauce
12-15 corn tortillas

In a large bowl, place beans, "meat", corn, rice, and chopped raw veggies.  Mix.  Add some enchilada sauce and mix.  Pour some sauce in the bottom of your baking dish (I use square glass pans, and usually fill two or three of them).  Coat both sides of a tortilla with sauce, fill with 1/4 to 1/3 cup mixture, and roll.  Continue until all the mixture is gone.  Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas until they are covered.  Cover pans with foil.  Bake at 350 for an hour.  (These are actually better the next day, but we can never wait that long.)

4 comments:

Marcella said...

Thanks Sheila! Are a vegetarian? Or a flexitarian?

The musings of a mom -- is that your direct quote? I like it and want to send it my sister and friends so I want to give credit were credit is due.

I like the fact that you have a blog -- great idea!

Marcie

Sheila said...

Hi Marcie! No, it's not from me - it's on this inspriational wall hanging that someone got for me a while back, and I really like it. You'll find the whole thing here: http://www.lordtonymackenzie.com/desiderata.html

Sheila said...

whoops - cut off the link: http://www.lordtonymackenzie.com/desiderata.html try that one - it should work. if not, search for Max Ehrmann's "Desiderata"

Sheila said...

I don't know why, but blogger keeps cutting off the end of that link. Grrrr.