Saturday, July 24, 2010

chickpea cutlets

a.k.a.  "what are you eating???"

For my birthday, my wonderful husband got me the Veganomicon cookbook.  I am really enjoying it.  I'm not vegan - I still eat cheese and sometimes eggs and other dairy stuff - but I enjoy the challenge of making things that are vegan and that taste good.  So, when I saw this recipe, my first thought was "Ew".  As in, no thank you.  But I read some reviews and everyone loves them so I thought, "Why not?"  Believe me, no one was more shocked that I liked them than me.  My meat-loving husband even liked them - he had seconds. 

The first time I made them I cooked them in a cast-iron skillet.  Pretty fast, and very good.  The second time I put them in foil and cooked them on the bbq.  It took a little bit longer, but was much easier and also very good.  (Also less olive oil and no pan to clean, so that's the way I'll be cooking them from now on).  You can also cook them in the oven.

This recipe is all over the internet.  Here's a link.  Try it.  We like ours with honey-mustard sauce.  It's also good on a bun with some lettuce.  Someone wrote a blog post about making them into nuggets - that sounds pretty good too.

No comments: