Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mango Cucumber Spring Rolls

I adapted this recipe from the Vegan with a Vengeance cookbook.  I took out a few things (peanuts) and added a few things (carrots).  The key is the sauce.  The sauce makes them really good.  Again, I changed up the sauce by adding some mango to it.  I like it this way.  Amounts are approximate - have fun.  (The photo doesn't have carrots - the carrots was a suggestion by my friend Rob and I'm planning on adding them the next time I make these.)

SPRING ROLLS:
Frozen cubed mango (about 8-10 oz - use the rest of the bag in your fruit smoothies)
Cucumber, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 cup shredded raw carrot
4 oz thin rice noodles (I used bean threads and had a lot leftover)
Package of spring roll wrappers

SAUCE:
1/4 cup thawed mango chunks
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tsp Asian chile oil (I used sesame chile oil)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp sugar

Follow package directions to soften rice noodles/bean threads.  This usually involves covering them with boiling water and letting them sit for 10 minutes.  Drain and rinse with cold water.

While the noodles are cooking, make the sauce by putting all ingredients into your blender and mix.  Chill until your spring rolls are ready.

Cut the cucumber and mango and cilantro.  Have a pie plate or shallow pan filled with a few inches of warm water to soften the wrappers.  I use a cutting board for assembly.  Put a wrapper into the water until it's soft and flexible (there are usually directions on the package for this too).  Lay the wrapper on your board and put a few tablespoons (or half a handful) of noodles, some cucumber, some mango, some carrots, and lots of cilantro in the middle of the wrapper.  Fold the top and bottom and roll up the rest.  Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.  I put a moist paper towel in the bottom of a plastic container and put the spring rolls on it and they stayed fresh all day.  (They may stay fresh longer, but my friends and I ate them all.) 

Serve with lots of sauce, because the sauce is the best.

Make these with your kids - they love to help with the assembly, and watching the wrappers soften up into something you can eat is a little bit of kitchen magic.

No comments: