Thursday, July 08, 2010

Passion

"My new year's resolutions for 2010 is to find a cause. I want to find something that I care about and believe in and I want to invest myself in. I don't know if it will be a medical cause, like breast cancer or leukemia or brain tumors or children's hospitals, and I'll walk a 5K (or try and run with Sally and not kill myself). Maybe it will be political and I'll find a local campaign and get involved. I don't know. Maybe it will be something smaller, something in our community. But I want a cause. I want a thing. And I'm going to take the whole first part of the year to look and listen and pray and wait." ~ January, 2010


I've looked and I've listened and I've prayed.  Several things passed by me that could have been my thing, but none of them really lit a fire in me.  But then, about six weeks ago, I checked out a book called "Raising bookworms : getting kids reading for pleasure and empowerment" by Emma Walton Hamilton.  I started reading it, and it really spoke to me.  I started thinking about my kids and reading, then I started thinking about other kids reading and me being a part of that somehow.  I decided that I would try and give books as a gift as often as I could.  I bought some books for people.  I bought some giftcards for bookstores.  It felt good.  Then, I got a newsletter from the kid's school about some open PTA positions.  One was for the reading program.  And I sat down the very same day and volunteered.

That's when I realized that I found my thing:  it's reading.  (Well duh, you might think.  Yes, I thought that too.)  It's getting kids to love reading, it's supporting my local library in ways beyond checking out books, it's improving the reading program at our school so that more kids are motivated to read, it's being more intentional about reading with my kids.  That's my thing.

(Admit it - you thought it was going to have something to do with knittng.)

4 comments:

alison said...

I love your heart, Sheila.

i've been on this bandwagon for life, as have you, but now it's official. Yea!

Off topic: has Sam wowed you with any starcasm lately?

alison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...

Actually I was thinking along the lines of healthy/vegetarian eating, but this works, too! :)

Lisa P said...

I think this is a lovely cause--and suits you perfectly!