Monday, October 18, 2010

this, that, whatever

I am reading The Good Earth.  It is quite depressing.  I'm not sure why I got it into my head to read it, but now I'm too far invested to NOT finish it.  I'm in the last 100 pages.  It's brutal.  I keep falling asleep.

I got it into my head that I need to knit myself a new hat to match my Harry Potter scarf for the new movie coming out next month.  I keep trolling around the internet looking for patterns.  I think I may have it narrowed down to two or three.  Soon, the obsessing over yarn will begin.  I like this part of a project just as much as I like the knitting part.  Maybe more.

I love the cold weather this week.  I've been making lots of soup.  My kids' current favorite is tomato.  I almost always boil over the tomato soup.  I have no idea why that is, and it makes me mad every time.

I am still thinking about the three Hunger Games books that I read this month.  They were so good.  I wish I could find some more books that were great like those were great.  Maybe I'll read them again.

I'm still not eating most meat, but I'm now trying to add back in fish.  It's slow going.  I keep forgetting to eat it.

I am reading Where the Red Fern Grows out loud to the kids.  I have a special fondness for this book.  My fifth grade teacher read it to my class, and I can still hear her voice when I read it.  My kids are loving it.  I really wish I could find my fifth grade teacher and tell her how this book has stayed with me, how it is being passed on to my kids.  To all teachers out there who read to your classes - they will remember your voice and that book for years to come.  Thank you for reading to your students!

I wish I didn't need to sleep so many hours every night.

I tried the blueberry coffee from 7-11 today.  (I hardly ever get coffee from 7-11.)  It was surprisingly good.  It smelled like blueberries, tasted like coffee, and somehow the two worked.

My garage is pretty clean right now.  It won't last.

I hope it rains again tonight.  I sleep really great when it rains.

If I could get to the place where I had Romans 8 in my heart and mind all the time, well, wow.  I can't even imagine what life would be like.  I think Romans is the book of the Bible that speaks the loudest to me.  I'm also quite fond of John.  And Proverbs.

There are only 74 days left in 2010.

2 comments:

Sherry C said...

Love this random collection of thoughts.

I just read Where the Red Fern Grows for the first time this year, previewing it for a kid. Somehow missed it as a kid. I knew about it, but I wasn't interested. I think it would be more compelling for me now if I'd read it first as a kid. Unfortunately, I found it all a little trite and predictable, not anywhere near the top of my list of favorite children's lit.

On the other hand, I read The Good Earth with my 9th grade English classes when I was teaching and LOVED it. It is one of those books that has always stuck with me and I still think about it occasionally. Pearl S. Buck manages to make the sentence, "The day dawned bright and clear with not a cloud in the brilliant blue sky" (or something like that), sound downright ominous.

How is it that you and I have grown to have such different taste in literature?? Miss you...

Sheila said...

Hi Sherry! I think you have to read Where the Red Fern Grows when you are young to love it. It's not just the book - it's the memory of loving it and having my teacher read it to me, I think. I finished The Good Earth. It was just so sad. Here this man worked so hard and built up his family, only to not appreciate his wife until she was dead, and to have his sons plan to sell his legacy before he is even dead. So tragic.
What books do your kids like? Sam is in the Magic Treehouse phase :)