Monday, March 21, 2011

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Last week my sister and I took the train to Albuquerque.  We decided quickly to go visit our uncle, who was recently diagnosed with late-stage cancer.  We hadn't seen him in years - five years, I think, at my cousin's wedding - and both of us felt so strongly that it was the right thing to do.  We went and had a nice visit with him and our aunt and two of our cousins (and spouses and a baby!).  My parents went with us too.  It will probably be the last time we see our uncle, so our visit was bittersweet, but it was sweet.  We laughed and remembered old times and told him how much he meant to us and what things will always make us think of him.  He was in pain much of the time, but I hope we lifted his spirits by being there.

The train ride to Albuquerque was super fun.  Joy and I got a sleeper car so we could be rested and ready to go, and we both recommend it!  Here's what the bottom bunk looks like:

(We took alot more pictures, but I'm not allowed to post them!)  I woke up early on Friday morning (on the way there) and watched the New Mexico landscape fly by and it was so peaceful and relaxing.

On the way back, we met a nice college couple who were on their way to LA for spring break.  We had dinner and breakfast with them, and it was fun to meet someone so young and bright and shiny and full of promise.  (Hope you two had fun at Disneyland!)  Even though our train was really late on the way home, I am still glad that we took the train, and glad that we went to see our uncle.  Also, I finally learned how to spell Albuquerque.

1 comment:

cko said...

Sounds like a great trip. The train is a favorite way to travel. S and S and S would have had a wonderful time o a train trip! It just takes a long time. But it is relaxing.